French Onion Soup with Gruyere and Sourdough
3 cups Gills' diced yellow onions
1 stick of butter
1 bay leaf
1 large sprig of thyme
2 tbsp flour
1 cup red wine
2 quarts beef broth
1 sourdough baguette
5 slices gruyere cheese
salt and pepper to taste
- Gather a large stock pot, add butter to the pot and melt on medium heat.
- Once butter is fully melted add diced onions. Sauté onion on medium-low heat for roughly 30 minutes, or until the onion has turned from translucent to golden brown.
- Add bay leaf, thyme, and flour. Mix until flour has soaked up all butter.
- Deglaze the pan with the red wine; be sure to scrape all the tasty bits off the bottom of the pan.
- Add beef broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and let simmer for one hour.
- Pour individual servings of the soup into oven proof bowls.
- Slice and toast the baguette.
- Lay a slice of toasted baguette over the top of each bowl.
- Lay a slice of gruyere cheese over the top of each baugete slice. Bake until cheese is melted and golden.