Yucatecan Pickled Red Onions
1 ½ cups Gills' slivered red onions
2 cloves garlic quartered
1 tbsp course kosher salt
½ cup distilled white vinegar
3 whole allspice
1 bay leaf
½ tsp ground black pepper
½ tsp dried oregano
¼ tsp ground cumin
- Combine 6 cups water, onion, garlic, and 1 tablespoon coarse salt in heavy medium saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, then boil 1 minute. Drain.
- Return onions and garlic to same saucepan. Add vinegar and all remaining ingredients.
- Add enough water to saucepan just to cover onions.
- Bring to boil over medium heat. Remove from heat, cover and cool.
- Transfer onion mixture to bowl, cover and chill overnight.
This can be made 1 week ahead. Keep chilled. Drain onions prior to serving.