2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs
3 cups Gills Mirepoix
12 qts water
2 tsp unsalted butter
1 cup jasmine rice
1 oz minced garlic
4 qt low-sodium chicken stock
Salt, to taste
1 tsp sugar
Pepper, to taste
1 Gills Whole Red Onion, peeled
1 lb potato starch flour
6 bunches green onions
2 bunches fresh cilantro
Chili oil, to taste
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Heat a heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat.
2. Add the mirepoix, garlic cloves, bay leaves and water.
3. Simmer for 30 minutes. Strain the broth, and place it back in the pot.
4. Add the chicken thighs and vegetable stock and simmer until the chicken is fully cooked and starting to fall apart.
5. Remove the chicken from the stock, and set aside to cool.
6. Save the stock to use for the soup.
1. Wash the jasmine rice under cool water. Pat it dry.
2. Heat a heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat.
3. In the pot, place the dry rice, minced garlic and butter.
4. Lightly toast the rice. Add the Chicken Stock to the rice, and stir. Cook the rice for about 1 hour for it to cook and to break down.
5. Add the sugar and salt.
6. Keep adding stock and mixing frequently. (You do not want the rice to burn in the bottom of the pan.)
7. When the stock is starting to thicken, add the shredded chicken, and continue to mix.
8. Once the rice is done, assemble the bowls of congee. Add a few spoonsful of congee to a bowl. Top with green onions, cilantro, fried onions, shredded chicken, a few drops of chili oil, and pepper.