2 cups wood chips
2 whole white onions
1 cup farro
6 oz sweet potato
1 Tbsp kosher salt, and more, to taste
2 Tbsp canola oil
8 oz crimini mushrooms, sliced
8 oz oyster mushrooms, torn
8 oz beech mushrooms, whole
Black pepper, to taste
2 oz lemon juice
3 oz truffle oil
2 oz parsley, chopped
Preparation, Smoked Onions:
1. Soak the wood chips in water for 30 minutes, and then drain. Place the wood chips on one side of a stovetop smoker, place the smoker directly on a burner, and turn the heat up to high.
2. Place the onions on the opposite side of the smoker, and cover. Let the onions smoke for 45 minutes. After smoking the onions, put them in a preheated 375°F oven for 35 minutes, covered.
Preparation, Cooked Farro:
1. Rinse the farro under cold water. Add to a 2-quart sauce pot with 2 cups of water. Bring the pot to a boil, and turn down to a simmer.
2. Cook for 20 minutes or until the water is absorbed. Let cool on a sheet tray.
Preparation, Sweet Potato:
1. Peel and large-dice the sweet potato. Add to a pot of cold water. Season the pot with 1 tablespoon of kosher salt. Bring to a simmer, and cook for 15 minutes.
2. Strain off the liquid, and let the sweet potatoes cool on a sheet tray.
Preparation, Seared Mushrooms:
1. In a rondeau over high heat, add the canola oil and all the mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper. Let cook for 3 minutes before stirring.
2. After 3 minutes, stir the mushrooms, and continue to cook until they are evenly caramelized. Remove from the pan, and let cool on a sheet tray.
Place the mushrooms. sweet potatoes and farro on the same sheet tray. Warm in a 375°F oven for 5 minutes. In a mixing bowl, add the warmed ingredients, lemon juice, truffle oil, parsley, and salt and pepper.