2 lbs Beef skirt steak
8 portions medium-grained rice, steamed, hot
8 oz Korean red pepper paste
8 shitake mushroom caps, julienned
8 oz carrots, julienned
8 oz daikons, julienned
¼ cup onions, sliced
8 whole eggs, for frying
½ headgreen leaf lettuce, chiffonade
8 oz European cucumber, julienned
2 oz light soy sauce
1 Tbsp mirin
¼ cup Gills onions, sliced
6 cloves garlic, minced
½ Tbsp minced ginger
1 Tbsp ground sesame seeds, toasted
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp black pepper
1. Cut the beef parallel to the grain, into very thin strips, combine with the Beef Marinade, and allow to sit for at least 1 hour.
2. Prepare the rice and the Korean red pepper paste.
3. At service, stir-fry the mushrooms until cooked, add the carrots, daikons and onions, and cook until they begin to tenderize. Adjust the seasoning, and keep warm.
4. Stir-fry the meat until barely cooked, and set it aside to keep warm.
5. Fry the eggs sunnyside-up.
6. While the eggs are frying, place the hot rice in a hot, deep bowl.
7. Place the beef and the vegetables on top of the hot rice.
8. Place the lettuce and julienned cucumbers right next to it.
9. Top with the fried egg, and serve with the Korean red pepper paste.