1 lb unsalted butter
2 lbs cooked pernil meat, shredded
1 qt pernil juice
1 lb Swiss cheese, thinly sliced
1 lb honey ham, thinly sliced
1 jar pickles chips
8 loaves Cuban bread (or telera bread), sliced for sandwiches
1 cup avocado mayonnaise
1 lb Gills thinly sliced yellow onions
2 cups Dijon mustard
Charred Onion Mustard Spread
1. Using the cooked, sliced Gill Onions, place the onions, pernil juice and Dijon mustard into a blender. Blend until smooth.
1. Place the shredded pernil on a medium-heat flattop to heat thoroughly.
2. Start assembling the sandwich by spreading mayonnaise on both insides of the bread.
3. Starting with the bottom layer, place pickles, ham, heated pernil and Swiss cheese, and drizzle on some Charred Onion Mustard Spread.
4. Place the sandwich on the flattop, and cover with a sandwich press, sauté pan or a heavy metal pan to keep the sandwich compressed against the grill.
5. Flip over, and toast the sandwich on both sides.
6. Cut down the middle.