3 cups Gills’ sliced yellow onions
2 tbsp butter
¼ cup fresh thyme
1 small stick fresh rosemary
1 tbsp flour
¼ cup sherry wine
2 pints beef broth
salt and pepper to taste
- In a small stockpot or large saucepot, turn heat to medium-low heat and add butter.
- Once butter is melted, add the sliced onion.
- Cook sliced onions in butter on low heat for 30-40 minutes until sweet and caramelized.
- Add chopped thyme and a stick of rosemary. Add flour and stir in completely, forming a paste around the onions.
- Deglaze the pan with sherry wine, being sure to scrape all the color off the bottom of the pan.
- Finally, add beef stock and salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat to a simmer. Let simmer for 30 minutes and enjoy!