Roasted Butternut Squash Soup with Green Apple
1½ cups Gills' diced yellow onions
2 small butternut squash
3 cups quality chicken stock
½ cup olive oil
2 sticks celery
2 medium carrots, diced
1 green apple, peeled and diced
2 cloves garlic
1 cup heavy cream
½ stick butter
pinch of nutmeg
pinch of mace
pinch of cinnamon
salt and pepper
For this recipe you will need a blender, a stock pot and two cookie sheets lined with foil.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Carefully cut the butternut squash into halves and remove the seeds. Place on a cookie sheet and drizzle olive oil and salt all over them, place in the oven covered with foil.
- Add diced Gill's onion, carrots and celery, diced apple, garlic, and all spices to the extra cookie sheet to be roasted.
- Drizzle olive oil and hefty pinches of salt and pepper over the vegetables and cover with foil, add to the oven with the squash. Let all ingredients roast for roughly 1 hour or until the squash skin easily peels away.
- Add all roasted and skinned ingredients to a blender with chicken stock, if it doesn’t fit in your blender do this in batches. Blend ingredients until very smooth.
- Add mixture to stock pot and bring to a boil, whirl in cream and butter.
Add salt and pepper to taste and enjoy!