1 ½ cups Gills’ slivered red onions
2 cloves garlic quartered
1 tbsp course kosher salt
½ cup distilled white vinegar
3 whole allspice
1 bay leaf
½ tsp ground black pepper
½ tsp dried oregano
¼ tsp ground cumin
- Combine 6 cups water, onion, garlic, and 1 tablespoon coarse salt in heavy medium saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, then boil 1 minute. Drain.
- Return onions and garlic to same saucepan. Add vinegar and all remaining ingredients.
- Add enough water to saucepan just to cover onions.
- Bring to boil over medium heat. Remove from heat, cover and cool.
- Transfer onion mixture to bowl, cover and chill overnight.
This can be made 1 week ahead. Keep chilled. Drain onions prior to serving.
Red onions soaked in oregano, cumin, and garlic. They are deliciously tangy and surprisingly crunchy they go well with so many things.