1.5 cups Gills’ diced yellow onions
1 stick of butter
1 thick slice of bacon
2 sticks celery
2 cloves garlic
1 bay leaf
1 large sprig of thyme
2 tbsp flour
½ cup white wine
2 cups clam juice
2 cups heavy cream
1 cup whole milk
2 large Yukon Gold potatoes
1 cup chopped clams
salt and pepper to taste
- Gather a larger stock pot and melt your butter on medium heat.
- Dice bacon, add to pot and cook it down on medium heat until golden brown.
- Dice celery, combine with diced onion and sauté until translucent.
- Add garlic, bay leaf, thyme and flour to soak up the butter.
- Deglaze the pot with white wine, add clam juice, cream, milk and diced peeled Yukon Gold potatoes.
- Bring all ingredients to a boil, reduce heat to low and let simmer for 1 hour or until potatoes are completely cooked through.
- The longer you cook it the thicker it will get. Once potatoes are soft and chowder is thick, add diced clams, salt and pepper to taste.