15 Black Peppercorns
2 Cinnamon, Mexican Canela – 1 inch
1 tsp dried Oregano
1/2 tsp Cumin seeds, whole
1/4 tsp Allspice, ground
1 cup Orange Juice
2 tbsp Lime Juice
1 cup Bitter Orange Juice
4 oz Achiote Paste, crumbled
1 tbsp Salt
5 Garlic Cloves, coarsely chopped
6 lb White Onions
1 pkg Banana Leaves
8 Corn Tortillas
1 bunch Cilantro
8 fl oz Tomatillo Salsa
4 fl oz Cotija Cheese
- Place all the spices and herbs in a spice grinder, grind well. Transfer to the blender, along with the juices, achiote paste, salt and garlic cloves. Blend well until smooth.
- Cover the onions with the marinade, toss well, until evenly coated, let it rest cover and refrigerated for at least 1 hour.
- Discard the though edge of the leaves, wash them under cold water, trying not to brake them. Pat dry.
- Using tongs, pass the leaves over high medium flame, quickly, just to soften them, about 5 seconds. Flip and repeat in the other side. Wipe to remove any white spots or dirt.
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Line a hotel pan with the banana leaves, cover the bottom, and the sides, overhanging.
- Place the marinated onions, scraping all the marinade with a spatula, on top of the banana leaves.
- Fold the overhanging leaves, and cover the top with more leaves, cover tightly with heavy duty aluminum foil.