1½ cups Gills’ diced yellow onion
2 tbsp unsalted butter
1 tsp kosher salt
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1¼ cups sour cream
¼ cup mayonnaise
⅛ tsp cayenne pepper
¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- In a frying pan melt butter over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion and salt and cook about 20 minutes, stirring often, until soft and caramelized.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Remove the pan from the heat.
- Add the Worcestershire sauce and stir, scraping up the browned bits from the pan bottom.
- Transfer the onion to a small bowl and let cool to room temperature.
- In a bowl, stir together the sour cream, mayonnaise, cayenne pepper and black pepper.
- Stir in the onion.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or up to 1 week.
This dip is a party favorite recipe made from sour cream, mayonnaise, cayenne pepper, garlic, and ground pepper. Makes about 2 cups.