1 8-12 oz hanger steak
2 Tbsp high-heat oil
1 cup Gills White Onions, sliced
2 ciabatta sandwich loaves
2 Tbsp unsalted butter
1 cup Oaxacan cheese
1 cup Salsa Verde (recipe below)
½ cup cilantro
Salt, to taste
Pepper, to taste
1. Season the steak generously, and heat a cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat.
2. Sear the steak until browned on each side and the internal temperature is 125°F.
3. Remove it from the heat, and allow it to cool on a wire rack.
4. Add about 2 tablespoons of high-heat oil, and add the onions to the pan.
5. Stir to coat in the fond left from the steak; continue to cook until the onions are golden brown and all the liquid has cooked out.
6. Remove the onions from the pan, and wipe the pan out; return to medium heat.
7. Slice the bread loaves, and spread the insides with butter. Sear the insides of 1 loaf until toasted, and then flip over the entire loaf and shingle with Oaxaca cheese. Remove the bread before the exterior of the loaf burns, and place it on a wire rack. Repeat with the second loaf.
8. Slice the hanger steak on the bias, and shingle it onto each loaf of ciabatta.
9. Distribute the fried onions over the steak.
10. Add a generous amount of Salsa Verde and cilantro, and close up the sandwich.
Salsa Verde Directions:
1 cup diced Gills White Onions
1 cup cilantro
1 cup tomatillos, dry-roasted
½ cup jalapeños
3 cloves garlic
2 limes, juiced