Yields 4 Flatbreads
1 cup (drained) Gills’ Diced Pickled Red Onions, plus 3/4 cup pickling liquid
1/2 cup honey
2 tbsp currants, raisins, golden raisins, or a combination
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
Salt to taste
4 (12-14 oz) balls pizza or focaccia dough
6 oz shredded or shaved Gruyère cheese
1 cup cooked crumbled bacon or bacon lardons
2 tsp chopped fresh thyme
1 tsp flaked salt
1. Bring onions, pickling liquid, honey, currants, vinegar, and pepper flakes to a boil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Reduce the heat and simmer until reduced to 1 cup, 15 to 20 minutes. Set aside to cool. Add salt to taste, then cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
2. For each flatbread, roll or stretch one dough ball into an 8-by-12-inch rectangle or 11-inch round. Transfer to an oiled sheet pan and set aside to rise slightly, 10 or 15 minutes.
3. Dimple dough with fingertips and top with 1 1/2 oz cheese and 1/4 cup bacon.
4. Bake at 500°F until browned and crisp, about 12 minutes.
5. Spoon on 1/4 cup agrodolce, sprinkle with 1/2 tsp thyme and 1/4 tsp flaked salt, and serve.