• 4 cups Cumin-Spiced Tomato Sauce (recipe below)
• 2 cups Roasted Onion Petals (recipe below)
• 8 whole eggs
• 1 bunch mint, picked
• 1 bunch cilantro, picked
• 1 bunch basil, picked
• Black pepper, to taste
• Ground cumin, to taste
• Olive oil, to taste
• 1 each baguette, cut on bias, grilled
1. Heat the Cumin-Spiced Tomato Sauce in a pan until fully heated, fold in the Roasted Onion Petals, and continue to keep warm.
2. Poach the eggs until the whites are just set, and hold hot.
3. In each bowl, place 1 cup of the tomato sauce and onion petals.
4. Place 2 poached eggs on top of the sauce.
5. Garnish with the picked fresh herbs, black pepper, ground cumin and olive oil.
6. Place the grilled baguette toast on the side of the dish.
Cumin-Spiced Tomato Sauce:
• 1 whole Gills Yellow Onion, peeled, small-diced
• 4 cloves garlic, chopped
• 4 Tbsp ground cumin
• 4 Tbsp ground garam masala
• 2 Tbsp ras el hanout
• Salt, sugar and pepper, to taste
• 1 can crushed tomatoes
• 1 can tomato juice
1. In a pot, sweat the diced onions and garlic until soft and translucent.
2. Add in the spices, salt, sugar and pepper, and cook until aromatic.
3. Add in the tomatoes and tomato juice, and bring to a simmer.
4. Cook for 10 to 15 minutes on low heat until the desired thickness.
5. Adjust the seasoning, and reserve for plating.
Roasted Onion Petals
• 3 whole Gills Yellow Onions, peeled
• ¼ cup olive oil
• Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Cut the onions into large petals, and separate each layer.
2. Toss the onion petals in the olive oil, salt and pepper.
3. Place the petals under the oven broiler, and mix them every 2 minutes.
4. Continue the process until the onions have blackened and charred on most sides and have become soft.