Yield: 8 Lamburgers
2 1/3 cups (drained) Gills’ Diced Pickled Red Onions, divided, plus 1/4 cup pickling liquid, plus more onions for serving
1 tbsp pickle relish, ideally dill pickle relish
2 tsp brown sugar
3 pounds ground lamb
1 1/2 tbsp kosher salt, plus more to taste
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp onion powder
1 tbsp pepper, plus more to taste
8 hamburger buns, split
1/2 cup mayonnaise
Lettuce leaves for serving
Sliced tomato for serving
1. To make the relish: Coarsely chop 1/3 cup onions. Combine chopped onions, relish, and brown sugar in a small bowl, stirring to dissolve sugar. Set aside to macerate 10 minutes, then cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
2. Combine 2 cups onions, pickling liquid, lamb, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, and pepper in a large bowl. Form mixture into 8 patties, about 3 1/2 inches in diameter. Refrigerate until ready to use.
3. For each lamburger, grill or pan-fry a patty on an oiled grate or in an oiled skillet over medium heat to desired doneness, about 4 minutes per side for medium rare.
4. During the last minute of cooking, grill or toast cut sides of one bun.
5. Top bottom of bun with 1 tbsp mayonnaise, patty, 1 tbsp pickled onion relish, and top of bun. Serve with lettuce, tomato, and more pickled onions.